How to Keep Your Dog Happy & Healthy This Summer
Summertime is the perfect time of year for you and your dog to take advantage of the warmer weather and embrace the outdoors as much as possible. From long walks in the local park to splashing in the nearby lakes and enjoying a homemade, dog-friendly popsicle, there is so much opportunity for your dog to #livetheirbestlife.
All that being said, this season is also full of dangers for your four-legged friend, including overheating, becoming anxious during celebrations, and even getting sunburnt.
Fortunately, there are several steps you can take as a dog owner to ensure that your pooch remains happy and healthy throughout the summer months – keep reading to discover what they are!
Keep your dog cool
Think about how hot and uncomfortable you can feel on a hot summer’s day. Now imagine you were covered head to toe in fur. Not nice, is it?
Making sure that your dog does not become overheated in the summer is crucial to their overall wellbeing, with the risk of heatstroke increasing the hotter they get.
Ways in which you can keep your dog cool include:
- Letting them splash about in water whether that is in your garden paddling pool, a local lake, or even just a quick spray with a hose.
- Providing them with frosty treats. You can find many doggy popsicle recipes online, or alternatively, just give them a few ice cubes to crunch on.
- Always offering shade. If you are going for a walk or taking a trip to the beach, it is important that you find somewhere for your dog to take cover from the hot afternoon sun.
Protect your dog from anxiety
Do you find that your dog becomes anxious and stressed on the Fourth of July? If yes, you are not alone. Many animals suffer with noise-related anxiety caused by fireworks, thunderstorms, and other loud sounds, with this popular holiday proving a real problem for dog owners across the country.
Seeing your dog in distress is horrible, but fortunately, there is a way to help calm them and lessen the effect of the imminent celebrations. CeeBeeDoo provides CBD oil for dogs in the form of delicious and nutritionally balanced doggy snacks. Containing 100% natural ingredients, these tasty treats can be used to help combat anxiety and stress in your dog, making the Fourth of July, and any other summer parties, a lot more bearable for them.
Other ways to keep your dog calm include:
- Focusing on lots of physical contact
- Trying dog massage techniques
- Looking to music therapy
- Offering a safe and isolated space for them to relax
Ensure they are hydrated
Although most pet owners are aware that their dogs need more hydration during the summer months while they are outside, not everyone realizes that they also need additional water even when they are just sitting around your home.
Your dog is most at risk of dehydration if they are elderly, very young, or have pre-existing health conditions, such as kidney disease, diabetes, or they are overweight.
Ways in which you can ensure your dog stays hydrated include:
- Carrying water for them each and every time you go out
- Keeping multiple sources of water around your home and in the garden
- Offering wet dog food instead of dry
- Making a doggy smoothie
- Avoiding exercise at the hottest times of the day
- Not allowing your dog to overexert themselves, even if they want to